It’s here, December; the time for hustle and bustle, family and friends, holiday parties, too much food and delicious hot beverages. Often that means setting our fitness goals aside until the new year, coasting along and/or accepting mild weight gain until January 1st. NOT this year, this year you will stay committed; workout, eat healthy the other 34 meals a week, feel good about yourself and your commitment to your health.
Healthy Holiday Food Swaps
Skip Full-Fat Dips, Eat Yogurt Dips
Skip Some Alcohol Calories, Drink Wine Spritzer
Skip Cadies Yams, Eat Roasted Sweet Potatoes
Skip Dark Meat, Eat White Meat Turkey
Skip Cranberry Sauce, Eat Cranberry Relish
Skip the Casserole, Eat Fresh Green Beans
Skip Eggnog, Drink Cider
Skip Pecan Pie, Eat Pumpkin Pie
Remember turkey, cranberries, sweet potatoes, pomegranates, collard greens, pumpkin, & red wine all have some positive health effects.
Turkey Bowl & Gift Certificates
Winners of the Turkey Bowl will be announced after measurements this week. Look online to see who has won 4 free sessions – 2 for themselves 2 for a friend!
Giving a personal training gift certificate for Christmas is a wonderful ant thoughtful gift. We have beautiful gift certificates available and remember we do online personal training as well, so even if your loved one doesn’t live nearby we can still help them achieve their health goals! Talk to us about specialty holiday gift rate
Holiday Party TIPS:
- Portion control – use a smaller plate
- Don’t starve yourself beforehand – the hungrier you are the less self-control you will have
- Eat slowly
- Skip the liquid calories – drink H2O
Food for Thought
Make a date with your favorite person (yourself) and keep on track with your workouts. Regardless of if you must work out earlier, change your training sessions to 30 minutes (with your Personal Trainer’s permission), or take a new class, make sure to stick to your workout!
It’s more important than ever (especially during the holidays) to stay on track with your fitness and exercise goals. It’s not the easiest thing to do, but if you plan it just right, you’ll be able to enjoy the holidays without any or minimal weight gain…woohoo!
- Got 60? Awesome! Take a cardio class, circuit training, workout with your trainer, workout with your friends or go for a jog, walk, run or hike. You’ll feel better and your mind will be clearer to tackle whatever may come your way.
- Got 45? Mix it Up! Add in a yoga or Pilates class once or twice a week to help center yourself and stay focused and grounded. The holidays, can be stressful, taking one of these classes is an awesome way to de-stress yourself.
- Got 30? Running short on time? How about a run? If the weather is not amicable, pop in one of your workout videos or put some music on and dance your way to happiness!
- Got 20? Hit a 30 second HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training)! Mix in an upper-body, lower-body, cardio circuit routine
20-Minute Holiday Circuit Workout
To stay in shape during the holidays, try this easy but very effective 20-minute workout either at home or at the gym. * Start with a 5-minute warm-up and do 1 set of each exercise for 15 reps or 30 seconds each. Complete the entire circuit 1-3 x’s:
- Squats and Shoulder Press (quads, hamstrings, calves, glutes, delts)
- Seated or Bent-Over Rows (back, shoulders, biceps)
- Lunges (quads, hams, calves, glutes)
- Push-ups or Dumbbell Chest Press (pecs, delts , triceps)
- Reverse Lunges with Bicep Curls (quads, hams, calves, glutes, biceps)
- Cardio: 2 minutes – running in place, marching, jump rope, step ups
- Jump Squats (quads, hamstrings, calves, glutes core)
- Tricep Kickback or Tricep Pull-Downs (triceps)
- Plie Squats (quads, hams, calves, glutes, adductions (inner thighs)
- Cardio: 2 minutes running in place, marching, jump rope, step up, machines
- **Finish up with the following ab exercises:
- Bicycles (25-30 reps) (lower, upper abs, internal/external oblique, core)
- Planks (30-60 seconds) (core)
Until next time, happy holidays and keep moving and keep your motivation high!
Plans for the New Year
We will be hitting the ground running, starting in January with new boot camp and yoga times so stay tuned! We are working diligently on our Sport Yoga certifications and can’t wait to see you all in class!
Thank you for helping me complete a wonderfully successful first year of business in my own facility! Our path has changed over the course of the first year but has landed softly and successfully on my true passion and enjoyment, personal training! I can’t thank each of your enough for your support, laughter and commitment this year!!! See you in 2017!
Merry Christmas & Happy New Year!